Flight Log 3-Pack
Field Notes memo books have appeared regularly in videos and posts at Tested.com, the online home of Mythbusters hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, and it’s rewarding to know that America’s top SFX-science-tech-nerds find them useful. So when Adam posted a video about his quadcopter gear, and unveiled a home-made Field Notes notebook he’d customized for logging flights, we immediately wrote to Tested.com cofounders Will Smith and Norman Chan to offer our services.
In a flash, Adam sent us scans of his original mockup and we got to work. Our goal was to make a Flight Log that was useful for all Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) users, regardless of model or specialty. We studied regulations and equipment. We reached out for input from other professional UAS users (special thanks to Jason Rexilius) to ensure the books would be useful for professionals and hobbyists alike and compatible with any sort of unmanned flying gizmo.
After months of collaboration, research, and design, we’re excited to present a 48-page Flight Log that lives up to the Tested.com and Field Notes names.
Our Flight Log has space for 23 flights’ worth of data, including locations, weather, frequencies, battery usage, and much more, including pre-flight, launch, and post-flight checklists. There’s space to record the specs of your UAS and room for notes. Inside the back cover, you’ll find common-sense flight guidelines. Whether you’re a hobbyist, photographer, videographer, or flying law enforcement or military missions, you can count on these books to keep your flights organized.
The books feature 50# Finch Opaque text-weight paper with French Paper Co.’s 80# Butcher Extra Blue cover. Like all Field Notes, they have ⅜"-radius rounded corners, three sturdy staples, and they come three to a pack, wrapped in a paper band.
Just to be clear: The Field Notes/Tested.com Flight Log is NOT part of our COLORS series of limited-edition memo books, and it’s designed specifically for UAS users.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C "Butcher Extra Blue," with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of "Dachshund Nose" black soy-based Saphira ink.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T "Bright White," with a fine, 1-color application of "Double Knee Duck Canvas" light brown soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 105 in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the "Founding Fathers of the Staple."
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Inspired by Adam Savage's hand-made flight log, as seen on Tested.com.
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3½" × 5½" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. Field Notes uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All Field Notes memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.